The Rose Garden
The Rose Garden was the first area to be designed by Lady Cholmondeley and was completed in the early 1950’s with local sandstone.
Over time raised beds with improved soil were installed to boost the health of the roses which don’t typically do well in our light soils. Thuja lobbii was selected for the original hedge enclosing the garden and the old tennis court, but sadly due to old age and winter damage some sections had to be removed in autumn 2013 and replaced with English Yew.
In the autumn of 2016 Lord Cholmondeley decided that it was time to revitalise the whole area surrounding the rose garden. The tennis court and its fences and hedging were removed to be replaced by a croquet lawn on which visitors in the future could play croquet, whilst more Yew hedging was planted to surround the new lawn and keep seclusion from the rose garden. All existing plant material including the original roses were removed from the rose garden beds as much of the plants were tired and suffering from disease, whilst the raised beds were lowered. In 2017 the Rose Garden was completely replanted with around 400 new roses to create a garden full of colour and fragrance. All arieties were selected for the their repeat flowering qualities and fragrance and are varying shades of pink, white and maroon. Standout varieties include; Desdamona, Gertude Jekyll, Darcey Bussell, Queen of Sweden and Boscobel.